Warmer weather is finally set to arrive and that means it's time to update your spring clothing choices! To find fun and unique pieces, we recommend that you hit up independent boutiques rather than big popular retailers. Here's our list of the reasons why, plus our favorite fun, independent clothing shops and boutiques throughout Morgan County. Each shop listed here carefully selects the styles they carry based on what's trending and what their customers prefer. Often what's in stock is more limited at small boutiques, but that's part of the fun - after all, who wants to look like everyone else? Shop these local businesses to find fun fashion and accessories personally chosen with you in mind.
Why Shop Local Boutiques?
If you've never considered the value of shopping locally owned boutiques rather than larger retailers, here's a handy list of the advantages to shopping smaller (and more locally):
- The Experience! At a department store, you're just another customer. At a local boutique, you get treated like a queen with customized and individualized attention. Many boutiques can track your purchases so they learn your personal style preferences - a big advantage when it's time for your significant other to shop for your birthday or Christmas gift. Just point them to your favorite boutiques - they'll be able to recommend items you're sure to love, based on your own purchase history.
- Boutiques are locally owned and operated, which means the profits aren't going to a corporate CEO. Instead they're going to someone in the local community who will also shop local, enriching the community as a whole.
- Items in a boutique are often unique and trendy styles that can't be found in a department store. They're chosen personally by the store owner and available in limited quantities, which means you'll never show up to an event dressed just like one of your girlfriends!
- You become the trendsetter! Fashion is all about setting yourself apart. Local boutiques are the experts at this - they're setting new trends with their inventory choices rather than following along with the crowd. You already know the boutique owner has chosen wisely based on their own style and fashion sense, so you can't possibly go wrong!
- Each piece tells a story. When you find the perfect dress or sweater at a small boutique while on a day trip with your friends or family, that means the piece will always carry a personal story you'll remember each and every time you wear it. Shopping with others is always fun, but it's a lot more memorable to spend the day relaxing with your girlfriends in a charming small town as you shop, enjoy lunch or even pamper yourselves with a spa treatment or winery visit.
Boutique at Cedar Creek
One of the newest additions at "The Creek," a family owned and operated collection of businesses that features a winery, brew company, distillery, cigar bar and boutique, this shop is filled with a carefully curated mix of styles. The emphasis is on what's trending with a fun and casual flair. Stop in and check them out and enjoy a cocktail from the distillery while you shop!
De Lyn Jewelry
Owned and operated by a mother-daughter team, De Lyn has been a staple in downtown Martinsville for more than 15 years with gorgeous jewelry, both high end and casual. Over the last few years, they've branched out into ladies' accessories and clothing, offering a carefully chosen mix of high quality dresses, scarves, purses and more.
The most recent addition to downtown Martinsville's shopping options, Her Boutique is located on Main Street and features a fun mix of quality fashion pieces that will appeal to ladies' of all ages. Keep an eye on "sister," the mannequin in the window - she's often modeling the outfit of the week, which is discounted! Come back often, new styles arrive almost daily, and don't miss the wings mural on the wall. Created by the artists at Prowess Tattoo just down the street, it's the perfect place for a fun shopping selfie.
The Sterling Butterfly
Jewelry artist Pam Hurst curates a fantastic collection of merchandise from Indiana artisans, both local and regional. Her jewelry is the perfect accent to your favorite new outfit, plus you'll find a variety of other fun items as well including scarves and other accessories. Pam's own work has been seen at NY Fashion Week, The Academy Awards and on at least two popular television shows. This shop's brand new location is conveniently located right on the courthouse square in Martinsville.
Wood & Cotton Primitive Decor & Boutique
You get the best of both worlds at Wood & Cotton! Fun primitive decor from several local vendors, plus carefully curated boutique style clothing and accessories. Find it all as you browse through their wide variety of merchandise, located just south of downtown in Martinsville.
A trendy consignment boutique located in Mooresville, Copper Lace is where budget meets fashion. They're dedicated to bringing you current, up to date fashion trends fit for every style and budget. You'll find fun clothing and accessories at affordable prices at this upscale consignment shop. Follow them on Facebook for their deal of the day as well as outfit ideas!
Joanie's Corner at Ward's Apparel
Ward's Apparel has been a family owned and operated business in Mooresville for more than 40 years. Located next to the popular Gray Brothers Cafeteria, Ward's is known as Indiana's largest jean and fashion store with functional clothing from brands you known and love. They're also home to Joanie's Corner Boutique, a section within the store featuring carefully chosen contemporary ladies' apparel.
Located right on Main Street in downtown Mooresville, Something More prides themselves on creating a chic and trendy boutique for women. Here you'll find everything from basic t-shirts and jeans to trendier finds like romper dresses and jumpsuits! Purses, accessories and even shoes are available to complete your look.
Rosebud's Cellar Boutique
This locally owned boutique is located in Morgantown. Here you'll find a collection of women's clothing and accessories in a wide range of styles and sizes, personally chosen by owners JoNell Hickey and Gretchen Lucas. Styles range from trendy tops and dresses to cozy and comfortable jeans and sweaters. A fun mix of jewelry and accessories is available as well. You'll even find a few gift items and clothing styles for the men in your life.